Thursday, March 8, 2012

Republic Calling. Do I Pick Up the Holocall?

                I play on a PvP (Player vs Player) server and data has been collected and confirmed by Bioware that in general there are more imperials than republic players on PvP servers.   This is true on my server as well, and needless to say I play on the side of the Empire.  I still have yet to hit 50 on any character but I am working on it with a level 40 Bounty Hunter and a 36 Imperial Agent operative.   So I have spent practically all of my time in swtor on the side of the Empire.  My highest level Republic character is a level 11 Jedi Knight.  I really like the Empire classes and the storylines I have done so far.

                Recently a few friends, that I generally run flashpoints and group quests with, decided they were fed up with the Imperials and are rerolling Republic characters on the same server.  Being the healer of the group they naturally want me to reroll and come with them over to the Republic.  They are only in their teens in the leveling process so I am not far behind if I were to reroll.  Also, not having a 50 I might not be leaving that much behind but as slow as I am leveling if I reroll now will I ever make 50.  With legacy updates coming out with patch 1.2, which is slated for early April, a transition to the Republic would be easier, but waiting that long would leave me well behind them in leveling. 

                The other problem I have is I love my operative so much I can’t not play him, so if I reroll what would I even play as.  I could play the mirror of my class naturally but I just can’t find the appeal of playing a Smuggler scoundrel.  I find the Trooper story interesting but not liking the way my Bounty Hunter heals makes me not want to play a Trooper commando (healer).  I mean I like the class but if I hate how it heals it doesn’t make sense to level one if I want to be a healer in endgame.  Last option: Jedi Consular.  I have yet to heal as a Sith Inquisitor sorcerer or a Jedi Consular Sage.  The healing style is something different than I tend toward, but I’m sure I could adapt.   

                Basically all in all I really like playing Empire.  I have yet to find a guild that I really click with and that has the same goals as me; though not being a 50 yet I haven’t been searching super hard for a great guild.  The guys I like playing with are going to form a guild on the Republic side.  I don’t know what I am going to do.  Either way I won’t stop playing my Empire characters but do I start working on a Republic character.  Help me; I need some advice.

                Side Note:  It would be the best solution for me if my operative would stick to just being a double agent and actually defect to the Republic.  Then I would get to heal on the character that I love to heal on while playing on the Republic with the guys I want to be playing with.  It would be the best of both worlds. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand. I'm feeling the draw of the empire but the guild chose republic so I'm sticking to that. Smuggler is actually pretty cool. They get to really snark off at everyone and it cracks me up. I agree, trooper is BORING, sorry, BH is a better concept. Consular is very nice, but intellectual. However, you get a tank and a healer relatively early (companion-wise) so that makes it easier. Jedi knight has a rough time not getting a companion until lvl 35ish.

    In terms of flavor, I gotta say that the force users are so damn wooden, it kills me. You pick a dialogue option that is meant to be snarky and it comes out like "the force was with me" or "could you not handle this yourself?" Trooper is a lot of YES SIR, but Jennifer Hale makes the female trooper have serious STYLE.

    I suggest you try the first few levels of smuggler and see how you like it. I was immediately drawn in with the villain appearing early and "ZOMG when I catch up to this guy he is DEAD."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advise and for responding so quickly. I might at least try out the smuggler later today just to see how it goes. I know many people are fond of Corso. I will have to give an update as to my progress later this weekend.

    Also thanks for the add to your blogroll, really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the necro, but just wondering if you've given smuggler a chance yet. I would say that the SRMP animation isn't as cool as the Kolto Probe one, but otherwise it's pretty cool IMO. I've got a 32 operative and 48 scoundrel. As far as companions and storyline go, I'm not as much a fan of the scoundrel's compared with Operative's. Corso and the wookiee both seem pretty weak unless they're geared extremely well. I tend to run with either my healer companion or dps companion. Your healer companion is probably the funniest companion in the game. I am heal spec'd but run with the healer just to hear him say stuff in combat. "My friend is gonna get you!" His random remarks when you click on him are great too. The Risha storyline (Act 1 stuff) is decent and (spoiler)






    she makes a good companion and romance option (assuming you're male).

    ReplyDelete